Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Photo of previous spindle mount

The spindle mount was cut from MDF board using the same CNC unit... a testament of its' functionality...Front view. Meant to hold Proxxon spindle shown in earlier post...
Rear view showing the aluminum plate for stiffness and mounting to the Z-Axis...

CNC from storage...

Here are the photos of my previous homebrew CNC taken out from storage...
The modified milling table. The ruler is 18" long and placed there for size reference.

The Z-Axis is also about 18" long. Two THK linear slides on the inside and driven by 1/4" threaded rod.

The backside of the Z-Axis to show the motion related parts. All stepper motors are bipolar and coupled to the leadscrew using flexible couplers.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Almost sold already...

Will be departing with my dear old CNC contraption very soon... after coming back from my holiday... The photo shows the elements...

Milling table modified and hooked to stepper motors. Total travel after modification is about 6" by 6"

My old setup with the Z-Axis shown. The z-axis bolted to the wall for rigidity... works super well... except for the coupling of vibration to the whole house...

Close up of the Z-axis. Has about 5" of vertical travel shown with the simple dremel mount...

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Mobile Phone Pouch

I was having a very busy week last week. With 4 days of training session, I couldn't spend as much time as I want on my hobby. Nonetheless, managed to get something done during the weekend.

I have always wanted a means to show my callsign at several ham meetings. Originally I thought of using something similar to a name tag or tie clip. Then I realise that I carry my mobile phone everywhere I go thus a callsign plate on my mobile phone pouch would fit the bill.

The plate material is brass... the lettering were milled to 0.05mm... darkened with permanent markers and the top side was sanded with fine sand paper... Result below...

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Iambic Keyer and Current Setup

Hello again,

As mentioned before, I'm not happy with the iambic pedal design shown below. Too cluttered and too many parts. Scraping this design... and the aluminum as well... Will be designing new pedal... when I got the time...

This is my current stepper driver and PC setup. The PICStep drivers (4-Axis) are housed inside the old PC casing with voltage and current meter mounted at the floppy disk space. The PC is an IBM NetVista, Pentium 4 1.6GHz with 512MB memory and 40GB harddisk. Both EMC2 and Mach3 installed for my testing... as well as DOS apps such as TurboCNC and CNCPro... Still trying to figure out why my Sherline cannot go reliably above 10ipm... BTW, the mini keyboard is 'velcro-ed' to the rack... allowing removal if needed...