Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Something old but maybe useful...

The following links are things I did in the past which may be of use to others...

How to make a PCB using toner transfer method...
My first try on DIY CNC... works but disassembled now...
My second (or is it the 3rd) try on CNC... also disassembled now...

It was posted there way back when the website just got started... look at the thread numbers...

Monday, October 29, 2007

Tale of the deburring tool and dial indicator holder...

Was at the Machine Tool Exhibition yesterday evening and picked up the three items below...
a) Rotating deburring tool (for metal) - blue handle + 10 spare tips
b) Flat deburring tool (for plastic) - gray handle
c) Dial indicator holder, for use with clamp...

9M4RKK & 9M4RKL Change of Cabinet...

Several stations led by 9M2CJ were at Bukit Lanjan on Saturday 27th October 2007 morning to relocate the repeaters into their new (but old) cabinet. All went as planned. The only surprise was when we found that the UHF cable is full of water... the water was dripping from the cable when the connector was removed... the cable is yet to be replaced... UHF still usable with SWR or about 1.2

Photo showing the black core due to the water leak...
The equipment in the new cabinet...
View from the rear...
And where the actual antenna were located...

Monday, October 22, 2007

PIC-Based Timer with LCD...

Latest update 071022-1615:
The codes have been completed and tested.
For full set of relevant files, please leave comment and I'll email it to you.


At the request of a friend, I quickly design and build the prototype of a PIC-Based Timer module with LCD display. Picture below show the progress thus far...

The parts before assembly.
The PCB was made using the toner transfer method and yet to be cleaned for soldering...
All parts assembled except for the reverse mounted LCD.The component side showing various connection points (Relay, Speaker, Power)
Coded and tested for board functionality. Works on first try... yeaaaaa

As in most project, getting the main function working is quick. Now need to code it for 'nice' user interface to allow selecting/saving preset timing as well as allowing manual duration setting...

The Sherline Cleanup... after months of use...

After months of abuse with actual work, various form of lubricants and grease, aluminum chips, melted plastics and so on, I decided that my mill need the much needed cleaning. I finally find the courage and the time to get it done. The mess it was in... the off-white stuff is lithium grease... yuck...The weapon... degreaser and grease pump with Slick 50 One Grease with PTFE.
The anti-seize lubricant pictured was not used.
Yeaa... after a couple of hours of soaking, scrubing, rinsing and drying... I am very pleased...
The mill ready to be put into abuse... ooopss... service again...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The 9M4RKL Morning Crew TT session

Just a brief recording of history... The 9M4RKL so called morning crew had our first informal teh-tarik session last night at Bukit Rahman Putra, Sungai Buloh. It nice to be able to put faces to callsigns and to meet friends again, as always.

Five stations were there including me. The others were 9W2ZSH, 9W2JIP, 9W2ALT and 9W2LYZ. Unfortunately, the macho man 9W2VA is away overseas at the moment. BTW, may need to find suitable nickname for 9W2ZSH and 9W2ALT because everyone else has their coined nickname.

9W2VA - Macho man
9W2JIP - Itu Macam Cerita
9W2BSR - McGyver
9W2LYZ - Sunny

Long due updates...

I haven't been updating this blog for a month already. Been taking it easy on the hobby during the Ramadhan month. Nonetheless, managed to cook up some project during the 'take it easy' period.

Pictured below is the homebrew battery eliminator for Yaesu VX-6R made for 9W2ZSH. It is the 2nd version which is able to deliver continuous 2A@7.4V. The first version burned up due to excessive current load on the switching power supply unit. The clear plate is an acrylic piece to connect to the transceiver which is milled to the dimensions of the battery compartment.

After milling my last callsign plate for the mobile phone holder, it came to mind that I could do much finer detail using normal PCB. Tried the new design using UV and FR4 PCB and result shown below. So far happy with it but need a good method to blacken the PCB for aesthetic, otherwise the contrast is very minimal. Anyone with practical suggestion, do drop me comments... Currently using permanent marker ink but that will rub off when I polish the copper with polishing chemical...